While on forum remember to keep refreshing page so you can see new info and personal messages

SIR PATRICK MOORE 1923-2012

Norman Lockyer Observatory.

Hello, I'm new to this.

in Introduction to the group Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

I'm 60, been idly watching the skies with a spotting scope for years, Halley etc, been a pro photographer and designer nearly all my working life. Inspired on visit to Florence by Galileo's finger, and telescopes. What a brain! I've reached that now-or-never moment where I want to get a telescope and take some interesting pictures. I know all about photography, but nothing about scopes or astrophotography. So here I am.
I live in a pub too, but don't drink!

Scroll up

RE: Hello, I'm new to this.

in Introduction to the group Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:10 pm
by Dave • 3.216 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
You will find a wealth of information and support, please feel free to ask away and we will do all we can to help or advise you.
I see you live in Devon, come along to the Norman Lockyer Observatory and see all the different telescopes we use, and you can make the correct decision for what you wish to do in the future.

Dave

Celestron 9.25" SCT - Celestron 6" SCT (*2) - Williams Optics ZS70 - Williams Optics ZS66 - Coronado PST
NEQ6 Pro Mount - CG5-GT - Celestron Nexstar SE - Skywatcher All-View Mount
Atik 460 EX CCD -Atik 314L CCD - Atik Titan CCD - Atik OAG - Atik EFW2 - Canon 350D
Lumenera 120M cam. Microsoft Lifecam HD - SPC900NC - Various filters and stuff.
U816 Quadcopter (THE BEAST!)
CALL SIGN - M6OCO
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 pm
by revandBellman • 5.108 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Any questions just ask there are many helpful people here to help.
Kate

NEQ6 mount, C6 telescope with skywatcher guide scope for moving around with Starlight SXVR H9 main camera and SX auto guider.
Celestron C9.25 and WOZ 72 in dome with atik 460 camera and a Co-star for guiding with alpy for spectroscopy.
MCT5 with SE mount and SXVR MX 916 camera and star analyser for spectroscopy
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 pm
by deepskysteve • 6.547 Posts

Hi welcome and please do pick our brains, well what we have left!!:-)
Steve

Celestron CG5 Goto with C6 & William optics Z66. Williams ZS70, (Meade DSIPro2 Mono Skycam), Lifecam HD webcamera, Watec 902H, SPC900 webcam, Logitec Pro 4000 webcam, Atik 314L+ Nextimage 5 camera, IFLY4 Quadcopter, H.A.L scratch built Quadcopter GPS full autonomous machine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepskysteve/with/9135237742/
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:40 pm
by Grahame • 378 Posts

Hi and welcome.
I am a newbie myself, only 1 year in.
As above, there is a wealth of knowledge at the NLO, it would be great if you could make a trip up go Sidmouth.
Always best to pick some brains, before deciding which telescope is for you.
Grahame.

Celestron NexStar 8SE, William Optics ZS70, Celestron Neximage 5, SPC900, Microsoft Lifecam, Canon 6D, 1100D with some L glass.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9960425@N05/
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:00 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

Thank you for the warm welcome and kind offers. That's exactly what I need. I wish more people would do that in the photographic world... although if they did ask before taking the plunge, I'm sure a lot of photo shops would be out of business... ;-)
I'll post a snap shortly...

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:10 pm
by nigelch (deleted)
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:39 pm
by Grahame • 378 Posts

Very nice capture. You'll find a good mix of people using DSLR and dedicated CCD for astro work.
I'm guessing being a pro you have a nice collection of L glass as well, which will serve you well to start with. The 200mm L lens is a cracker for widefield if you have one.
Until recently I had been using a basic Canon 1100D and a combo of 24-70 L, 70-200 f2.8 IS L, 100-400 IS L and 1.4 extender. So I was imaging with Canon setup, mounted onto GEM telescope mount, and guided with a "normal" telescope.
As with "normal" daytime photography, there are many ways to skin a cat.
I used to do a bit of motorspor photigraphy with a 1DMkIIN wih the above lenses, mainly for local motor clubs.

Rob (Whirpool Rob on here) is into his photography, have a search around the forum for some of his work.

Celestron NexStar 8SE, William Optics ZS70, Celestron Neximage 5, SPC900, Microsoft Lifecam, Canon 6D, 1100D with some L glass.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9960425@N05/
Last edited Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:41 pm | Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:49 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

Yes, I'm into 24-70, 70-200 and 1.4x also. The 35mm 1.4L is frighteningly sharp wide open! I also use the 300f4, (could never justify the 2.8).
I discovered Rob's pix on Flickr, (I'm on the as Nigelch also), he seem also to be into aeromodelling. Oh dear me, this conversation is going to take a while...
;-)

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:55 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

Here's the only astronomical snap I've ever put any real thought to; realised I had no idea how to do it, so worked it out from first principles. A lot of trial and error, not very good quality, but I got an image, and that was the object of the exercise.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/48669188@N0.../in/photostream

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Really great image

NEQ6 mount, C6 telescope with skywatcher guide scope for moving around with Starlight SXVR H9 main camera and SX auto guider.
Celestron C9.25 and WOZ 72 in dome with atik 460 camera and a Co-star for guiding with alpy for spectroscopy.
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 pm
by WhirlpoolRob • 867 Posts

Welcome to the forum Nigel.
Thanks for your comments on Flickr, as Dave said come along to the Norman Lockyer Observatory Friday night, we can easily learn from each other, we are this Saturday running a astrophotography course at the NLO (Basic),

http://www.normanlockyer.com/Astro-imaging%20course.html

if your interested !!

Happy Days

Rob

A few bits and bobs!!
M6UJM
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:26 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

You should have seen the homemade ND filter, black paint, sticky tape and glue gun work. I suppose I'm an ardent DIY'er at heart. No it's not a great image... but I had been inspired by Galileo; and just really interested in the way the subject grabs the imagination. I always loved physics, the purest of all sciences. Astronomy is the observation of BIG physics, and has inherent beauty in the order of things, never mind the visuals, which fascinate me too. This was my once-in-a-lifetime chance of a snap, so I took it. Much of photography is about time and place.

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:58 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

Very kind, and exactly what I need. Sadly, cannot do this weekend. Is it easy-ish to get to by public transport? I can't drive. (B*gger!)

(update) Ah, just found your map and info!

Last edited Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:01 pm | Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:13 pm

There are others during the year. Just keep an eye on the website for dates

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:23 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

I will, thank you.

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:00 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

I've reorganised my day, and can now come on Saturday. Yay!

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:56 pm
by Herbig • 724 Posts

Hi Nigel and welcome. Where abouts do you live, we have members who come from Honiton, Tiverton, Plymouth, Exeter, Torquay, Dorchester etc so may be able to get a lift with someone.
There are frequent busses to Sidmouth but then you'd need to walk up a steep hill a mile or so.
There is the Hopper bus from the town which stops at the Observatory but I think it only operates in the summer.
Hope to meet you soon.
Regards
Pete

Takahashi TSA102S, William Optics GT81 and Zenithstar 66SD APO, 5" AE Luton Refractors, , Celestron C8 SCT, Coronado PST, Mounts: Skywatcher NEQ6 & iOptron Mini Tower Pro, Meade 5000 series EP's and other bits, Atik Titan, Meade DSI, Lumenera LM075 Mono CCD's, Canon 5D mk3, Atik manual filter wheel, Baader filters.
Last edited Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:58 pm | Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:18 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

I live in sunny (!) Topsham. I can get there on Saturday by bus, albeit coming the pretty way ;-)
At least it's downhill to the bus on the way home. I'm always very appreciative of lifts, haven't been able to drive for 22 years for medical reasons.
But I will be there even if I have to crawl up the hill. (A taxi may be easier, but less opportunity for humour...)

Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:20 pm
by nigelch (deleted)

What are catering arrangements like there for Saturday? BYO? Kettle? That's fine with me.

Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: darknight
Board Statistics
The forum has 4342 topics and 23224 posts.

1 member has been online today :