While on forum remember to keep refreshing page so you can see new info and personal messages

SIR PATRICK MOORE 1923-2012

Norman Lockyer Observatory.

Venus 11.09.10

in Observers Corner Only Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:29 pm
by Dave • 3.237 Posts

Thanks to help from Steve last night, after I had first witnessed Venus in the sky, he kindly trained my new scope from the moon onto Venus.
It was a nice crescent, I would estimate about 1/4 of the surface illuminated and with the scope it had some slight red and blue bands top and bottom, maybe due to collimation as you guys suggested (Job for Friday?)
It is the first time I have seen Venus through the scope and I imagined it would just be a large point of light so it was surprising to see that it actually had a nice crescent shape to it.

Dave

CALL SIGN - M6OCO
Scroll up

RE: Venus 11.09.10

in Observers Corner Only Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:33 pm
by revandBellman • 5.132 Posts

Venus is like the moon and we see it in different phases. I have never seen a phase as small as the one you had last night. it was a really good view.
Kate

NEQ6 mount, C6 telescope with skywatcher guide scope for moving around with Starlight SXVR H9 main camera and SX auto guider.
Celestron C9.25 and WOZ 72 in dome with atik 460 camera and a Co-star for guiding with alpy for spectroscopy.
MCT5 with SE mount and SXVR MX 916 camera and star analyser for spectroscopy
Last edited Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:34 pm | Scroll up

RE: Venus 11.09.10

in Observers Corner Only Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:39 pm
by Dave • 3.237 Posts

Glad you liked it.
By the end of the night I think the scope was sinking in the ground as my goto was off and tracking was awful, but was nice to see Venus and get first attempt at Andromeda before it all went horribly wrong.
I hope to spend a few nights this week, if weather allows, doing some visual just to see the capabilities of the scope without the extra time and effort needed to image.

Dave

CALL SIGN - M6OCO
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 2 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Col1807
Board Statistics
The forum has 4386 topics and 23367 posts.

1 member has been online today :