While on forum remember to keep refreshing page so you can see new info and personal messages

SIR PATRICK MOORE 1923-2012

Norman Lockyer Observatory.

Saturday 5th November

in Spectroscopy Section Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:17 pm
by revandBellman • 5.137 Posts

Basic program:
10:00 start, discussing Isis and working on processing people's spectra. Looking at stacking darks, bias, calibration flies.....why these are needed for different spectroscopes.
11:30 Morning Tea
12:00 Bass project . How program works, what it's useful for.
BAA data site for spectra.
Lunch.....please bring something.
( Kerry is bring two quiches, I have an Indian snack box, plus biscuits for morning tea. Can someone bring rolls or bread stick and other nibbles. There should be around 6/7 of us.)

Andy will be joining us Friday evening so we will have a chance to chat to him then as well as on Saturday.
Kate

NEQ6 mount, C6 telescope with skywatcher guide scope for moving around with Starlight SXVR H9 main camera and SX auto guider.
Celestron C9.25 and WOZ 72 in dome with atik 460 camera and a Co-star for guiding with alpy for spectroscopy.
MCT5 with SE mount and SXVR MX 916 camera and star analyser for spectroscopy
Scroll up

RE: Saturday 5th November

in Spectroscopy Section Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:47 pm
by David Strange • 1.292 Posts

Excellent day today! Many thanks for arranging this Kate, and to Andy Wilson for clearing up a lot of mystique in getting ISIS to work. Really impressed myself that my final processed image of Vega exactly matched the Pickles reference image! There is also a really useful thread on the BAA Spectroscopy Forum : https://britastro.org/node/8156
with a step by step guide by Anthony Rodda.

David

Scroll up

in Spectroscopy Section Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:51 am

Andy has agreed to come back in the new year and work through BASS project with us and anyone one else we wish to invite.
Kate

NEQ6 mount, C6 telescope with skywatcher guide scope for moving around with Starlight SXVR H9 main camera and SX auto guider.
Celestron C9.25 and WOZ 72 in dome with atik 460 camera and a Co-star for guiding with alpy for spectroscopy.
Scroll up

in Spectroscopy Section Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:01 pm
by AllanJ • 601 Posts

Maybe I'll be up to speed with rSpec by then.

Equinox ED80 and 66, HEQ5 Pro, Atik 460EX, 314L and Titan; Skywatcher 250P FlexTube Auto/GOTO; Celestron NexStar 4SE; Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT Solar, DMK41
Scroll up

in Spectroscopy Section Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:33 pm

We can do some practise on Friday evenings if it will help

Scroll up

in Spectroscopy Section Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:36 pm
by AllanJ • 601 Posts

Some reading on various forums, etc, suggests that, on balance, flats for slitless spectroscopy (ie, Star Analyser) are not needed. That's a relief, I'm sure.

Equinox ED80 and 66, HEQ5 Pro, Atik 460EX, 314L and Titan; Skywatcher 250P FlexTube Auto/GOTO; Celestron NexStar 4SE; Lunt LS60THa/B1200CPT Solar, DMK41
Scroll up

in Spectroscopy Section Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:27 pm
by BellmanwithoutRev • 75 Posts

I didn't actually use flats darks or bias with the star analyser when it was a bright star. I did use darks for dimmer stars or nebulae.
Kate

Atik 314L and a meade DSI 2 colour, a 10 inch telescope with a 12 inch photographic tube attached and a nice 4 inch finder scope on the side, a home made sun filter
Scroll up

in Spectroscopy Section Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:34 am

This is probably the most meaningful spectra I have ever taken! Here's a spectum of Vega calibrated for, darks, bias, and smile,taken with an Alpy and compared to library reference standard.All processed in ISIS and GNUPLOT.

Scroll up

This is probably the most meaningful spectra I have ever taken! Here's a spectum of Vega calibrated for, darks, bias, and smile,taken with an Alpy and compared to library reference standard.All processed in ISIS and GNUPLOT.[[File:Vega_spectrum_20161022_dgs2.jpg|none|auto]]

Scroll up

This is probably the most meaningful spectra I have ever taken! Here's a spectum of Vega calibrated for, darks, bias, and smile,taken with an Alpy and compared to library reference standard.All processed in ISIS and GNUPLOT.[[File:Vega_spectrum_20161022_dgs2.jpg|none|auto]]

Scroll up

Visitors
1 Member and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Col1807
Board Statistics
The forum has 4394 topics and 23394 posts.

3 members have been online today: