While on forum remember to keep refreshing page so you can see new info and personal messages

SIR PATRICK MOORE 1923-2012

Norman Lockyer Observatory.

Full welcome.

in Introduction to the group Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:06 pm
by Dave • 3.243 Posts

Hi all.
After my quick hello last night I thought I would inform you of my particular interest and the equipment list I currently own.
I saw the Nexstar SE range on The Gadget Show several months ago and from there did a little research online about it. I was surprised at how technical the scopes are nowadays, with goto etc I thought it was even easier for me to get properly involved in viewing the night skies and all the wonders it has to offer.
After many searches online I first found the SaN forum and signed up but was a little put off because the response was very slow. After a little more research I found the SGL forum and was pleasantly surprised at how many people replied in such a short time. After many days discussions, and I had just had my 40th birthday (midlife crisis) I chose to buy the 6SE along with an EP set from FLO.
After a few phone calls and a sleepless excited night I took possession of the scope and have never looked back.
Very soon I began to learn more and see more regarding astrophotography and decided to purchase more equipment to start me on the road, the start of a slippery slope I think!
It was during this period I spoke to Martin from FLO and he has been helping and encouraging me ever since, it was he that told me about this forum and hence my presence.
Decided at the weekend to visit the AstroFair if only to eventually put a face to the voice and had a really good time looking around, and having a nice cheeseburger of course!
Anyway, on with the equipment list.
Currently I have the 6se mount and a cg5 GT mount with GPS, the 6" Mak is atop the CG5 now.
I have an Atik Titan CCD camera, picture to follow, and a nearly modded spc900nc webcam (oops)
Just purchased a cheap 3 position filter wheel with colour filters that I may buy decent astropix filters for, with advice of course. Bahtinov mask (great buy) and Revelation EP kit.
Lots of bits of software, just bought the Noel Carbani astro tools for PS.

Next venture is to autoguide hence my disappointment that Steve was so busy on Saturday.
Anyway, hope that helps to fill in the gaps.

CALL SIGN - M6OCO
Scroll up

RE: Full welcome.

in Introduction to the group Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:27 pm
by deepskysteve • 6.575 Posts

Hi Davy, nice bit of kit you have I am glad you are getting to use it and getting use to it, What was it you wanted to know about the dark side...autoguiding.

Steve

Celestron CG5 Goto with C6 & William optics Z66. Williams ZS70, (Meade DSIPro2 Mono Skycam), Lifecam HD webcamera, Watec 902H, SPC900 webcam, Logitec Pro 4000 webcam, Atik 314L+ Nextimage 5 camera, IFLY4 Quadcopter, H.A.L scratch built Quadcopter GPS full autonomous machine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepskysteve/with/9135237742/
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:00 pm
by revandBellman • 5.134 Posts

Hi Dave
Great introduction, look forward to hearing from you and seeing your images in the future.
Kate

NEQ6 mount, C6 telescope with skywatcher guide scope for moving around with Starlight SXVR H9 main camera and SX auto guider.
Celestron C9.25 and WOZ 72 in dome with atik 460 camera and a Co-star for guiding with alpy for spectroscopy.
MCT5 with SE mount and SXVR MX 916 camera and star analyser for spectroscopy
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:43 pm
by Dave • 3.243 Posts

Hi Steve

My first question would have been "is it worth trying to guide with the celestron ota that I have currently"
This was partly answered by Martin on Saturday who said I should visit your tent and see some of the equipment you have used, and I did see quite a small ota on a mount with auto guider in place, I believe there is a picture of this on the forum. Have you got anything similar to my ota that you have auto guided with (with pictures of the results?)
Secondly, am I correct in thinking that generally the guide scope should have a much lower f number than the imaging scope? Mine is f10 by default but I use a reducer to improve this. It seems that guide scopes are always refractor, is this correct? If so I see a nice sw st80 on FLO website.
Thirdly, from my list of kit in my earlier post ( forgot to mention focal reducer in that ) what extra kit would I need to complete a full auotguider setup?
Fourthly, I have the spc900nc modded, although the mod is temperamental, if I put this back to normal could this be used as a guide cam or would I be better buying a higher class camera for imaging and using the Titan to guide with?

I think that is more than enough questions for now, I don't want to take up all of your time on one post :)

CALL SIGN - M6OCO
Scroll up

in Introduction to the group Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:59 pm
by deepskysteve • 6.575 Posts

Hi Davy, no problem I'll try and answer with what I know etc. 1.
I briefly used the SW ST80 for guiding and then had the chance to buy the William optics Z66 second hand and that works a treat, Kate uses the SW ST80 for guiding, I believe in the older days not too far past F11 was used for guiding but to be honest you do need a good sensitive camera for guiding, the toucam unmoded will just pick up bright stars not really any good. especially when you want to image M51 which has very few stars visible so a good sensitive cam is needed.
3. If you can pick up a QHY5, Meade DSIPro1 or similar then that will be your camera sorted, if I wanted to image using the Z66 then I just use the C6 as a guide scope obviously I need to re calibrate PHD guiding etc, your 6inch Mak will be fine for imaging and for guiding also as I know some people use them for guiding.
I am not familiar with the Titan but if it's sensetive then yes use that and try go fro a good imaging camera, obviously budget permitting.

I hope I have helped a little but don't hesitate to ask more questions we don't mind helping at all.
Steve

Celestron CG5 Goto with C6 & William optics Z66. Williams ZS70, (Meade DSIPro2 Mono Skycam), Lifecam HD webcamera, Watec 902H, SPC900 webcam, Logitec Pro 4000 webcam, Atik 314L+ Nextimage 5 camera, IFLY4 Quadcopter, H.A.L scratch built Quadcopter GPS full autonomous machine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepskysteve/with/9135237742/
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 3 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Col1807
Board Statistics
The forum has 4392 topics and 23386 posts.

0 members have been online today: