While on forum remember to keep refreshing page so you can see new info and personal messages

SIR PATRICK MOORE 1923-2012

Norman Lockyer Observatory.

Let me also introduce myself

in Introduction to the group Tue May 17, 2011 12:29 pm
by Martin-Devon • 211 Posts

Hello everybody - I joined the NLO last year after going to the astrofair - the imaging tent definitely caught my attention. I'm a newbie to astronomy, starting in May last year and committed at that stage to a decent quality visual set-up, and have thoroughly enjoyed this. I retired in March this year, having worked in major pharmaceutical and Biotech companies in the UK & abroad since 1983 - all throughout this I have focussed on building up my career in Cancer Research, and especially the discovery of new targeted agents and taking these into the clinic for evaluation in patients. My last position just before I retired was Global Head of Oncology Research for a major pharmaceutical company where I was responsible for research labs in Belgium, France & USA. By training (PhD and post-doc) I'm a molecular biologist, and specialized in the cloning and molecular manipulation of cancer genes - I then moved into cancer drug discovery.

Much of my time has been spent looking down a microscope eyepiece at the micro-level of structure and life and subversion in cancer - so it was a natural progression to move onwards to a telescope eyepiece and look now at the macro-level of life and order. I guess this is how I will now spend a large part of my time now. As I mentioned though, I'm new to astronomy so have a huge amount to learn. I'm grateful though to the folks at the NLO for their warm welcome and openess to talk about kits and set-ups on the Friday nights that I have been down there. I live near Cullompton in the peace & quiet of the countryside and am fortunate to have a reasonable dark site for observing.

Regards,
Martin

Astro-Physics Mach-1, Takahashi FSQ 106, QSI 690, Moravian G4-16000 CCD, Lodestar guider, Astrodon 3nM narrowband and Baader LRGB filters. Astro images on: http://www.flickr.com/photos/martin-astro/
Scroll up

RE: Let me also introduce myself

in Introduction to the group Tue May 17, 2011 7:16 pm
by deepskysteve • 6.575 Posts

Hello Martin and welcome even though we have thoroughly met, you have been involved in a great battle and which sounds very interesting. I hope we can be of help to you in the search for deep sky mysteries, we will let you have all the knowledge we have however the universe is an endless reach and should keep us busy for some time!.

Steve

Celestron CG5 Goto with C6 & William optics Z66. Williams ZS70, (Meade DSIPro2 Mono Skycam), Lifecam HD webcamera, Watec 902H, SPC900 webcam, Logitec Pro 4000 webcam, Atik 314L+ Nextimage 5 camera, IFLY4 Quadcopter, H.A.L scratch built Quadcopter GPS full autonomous machine.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deepskysteve/with/9135237742/
Scroll up

Visitors
0 Members and 5 Guests are online.

We welcome our newest member: Col1807
Board Statistics
The forum has 4392 topics and 23386 posts.

5 members have been online today: